Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Review: FIRE AND BONES by Rachel Marks




I loved Mark’s DARKNESS CYCLE series and was thrilled when I was offered the chance to read an ARC of her upcoming new YA novel FIRE AND BONE. Let me tell you, this novel did not disappoint me in any way. The main character, Sage, has been living on the streets in Los Angeles, but everything changes for her when two people she believes are friends talk her into going to a party . . . I don’t dare tell much more out of fear that I’ll spoil the story. This is not a novel where the reader has to wait for things to start happening and the action keeps going, drawing the reader along with Sage, deeper and deeper into an intricate world of danger, self-discovery, romance, and ancient mythology.

One of the things I loved about FIRE AND BONE is that, while the roots of the mythology and magic have a dark and ancient feel, the dialogue and real world action maintains a snappy and modern wit. I highly recommend this novel for readers who like their main characters damaged yet strong, romance that is forbidden and hot, and magic that often comes at a deadly cost.


As a side note, I have to add that the cover on this book doesn’t do the quality of the novel justice. This novel has far more depth, magic, and emotion than the cover might lead one to believe—and the setting goes way beyond a normal cityscape. I won’t say more, just don’t  expect this to be a generic YA urban fantasy. Be prepared to be swept away from the back alleys of Los Angeles into a glitzy and treacherous hidden world, and beyond that to ancient forests and bastions of darkness.


Learn more about FIRE AND BONE on
  GOODREADS or AMAZON



No comments:

Post a Comment