Thursday, July 11, 2013

Like a Virgin: Getting to Know You Firsts


Getting To Know You

Warning, you’re probably about to learn more about me than you want to know.

Do I remember my first romantic kiss? Not really. It could have happened in the sixth grade, but I’m guessing it was seventh, at least that’s when I first started going to dances and that led to quite a bit of indiscriminate kissing. I had a thing for guys with long hair. In fact, that was pretty much the only requirement I had in order for a guy to be deemed kissable.  I also recall going to parties at that time and making sure I was always standing close to a cute guy, just in case someone shut the lights off and the kissing began. And we'd be listening to this.

I do, however, clearly remember making out for the first time. It was August, between 7th and 8th grade. The guy and I were in the same summer art program. I can’t remember his name, but he had beautiful, long, dark hair. We ended up going on a hike in the woods. It was sunny. The leaves on the ground under the trees were warm and . . . Let’s just say it was memorable. And, though I can’t specifically recall a favorite first love song, I did blare Wild Thing by the Troggs pretty repetitively around that same time. This video of Wild Thing slightly predates my kissing, but you'll get the idea 
and probably laugh. 

Now, for the less personally revealing firsts.

Just prior to when all the kissing began, I had a fantastic English teacher, I believe it was 5th grade. By then I’d devoured all the Wizard of Oz books, Narnia and the Grimm’s stories, basically I’d exhausted our town library’s fantasy section for kids.  This teacher introduced me to more sophisticated and newly written fantasies. The first novel was Once and a Future King by TH White. There’s a small homage to it in my manuscript Moonhill.  




Okay, let’s move on to my writing.

Before I begin a writing sessions, I fix something to drink, usually tea or coffee, iced or hot, depending on the weather. And I only have one goal in mind: to create a story that will entertain people and let them escape from the real world for a few hours. So I guess the one word I’d like to hear used to describe my writing is enjoyable. That’s it.

I wrote my first novels in high school. They were gothic and Regency romances, created for my own pleasure. Their first chapters were a mix of my daydreams and first chapters from published novels I’d read. I was totally unaware that revision existed, so they never changed or saw the light of day.

However, the first chapter of the first manuscript I wrote with publication in mind has an interesting story which says a lot about pitching agents, revision, and readership. This novel began as a short story challenge based on another writer’s avatar. So I guess that would mean the story idea started with a character. It was a fantasy with several points of view and a fairly adult first chapter involving a bonfire scene which culminated with the conception of the main character. The first query letter I ever wrote and sent out was for this story. It resulted in a full request, followed by an R&R with one condition. I needed to cut the first chapter and rewrite the story as YA. After that failed, I had a different agent request, then ask for an R&R—this time as middle grade. Honestly, the manuscript has several fatal flaws, but it should have remained adult and kept the original first chapter.

Hmmm, come to think of it, the guy in that fireside conception scene had long, dark hair. Guess I haven’t totally left my thirteen-year-old self behind. 

* LIKE A VIRGIN BLOG HOP LINK IS BELOW THURSDAY'S CHILDREN'S LINK*


<!– start LinkyTools script –> <!– end LinkyTools script –>














<!– start LinkyTools script –> <!– end LinkyTools script –>

20 comments:

  1. So, I'm guessing you like surfers because of their long hair? hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I think you're right, though I was a long ways from the waves and sunshine.

      Delete
  2. "I also recall going to parties at that time and making sure I was always standing close to a cute guy, just in case someone shut the lights off and the kissing began." Ha! I totally remember feeling that way too!! Adolescence is a bizarre time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarre, and with it's own set of important rules.

      Delete
  3. Indiscriminate kissing is the best. I mean, it was. Before I was, er, married! Can't wait to see what you make of the kissing among our Virgins ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally looking forward to it. *cough, cough* the contest, I mean.

      Delete
  4. Did your husband have long hair when you met him? And hey! What's your word? Or did I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup--it was years later and he wore a leather headband. His hair is still pretty long.

      I hid the word and put it out of order :) Enjoyment.

      Delete
    2. And that first kiss broke the legs off a sofa!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving these first kiss stories! So inspiring for a romance writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't write romance, but every one of my stories has at least a touch. Hey, what's life without a little kissing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers! I couldn't remember my first kiss too well either. It was ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone mentioned kissing in first grade. The more I think about it, the more I suspect my first was way before junior high. But I'm not sure being cornered and a cootie kiss is the same as a romantic one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first kiss and make-out session were one in the same. I love regency romances, when I first started writing, those were the stories i wanted to create, but was too intimidated to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I probably should have been more intimidated, but there is a certain freedom that comes with being totally naive :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your first kiss story. LOL Too bad we can't hold on to our simplistic requirements for happiness. :) Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there! Thanks for stopping by, too.

      Delete
  13. That was a great read, Pat! I loved The Once and Future King, too. What I want to know is are you still attracted to guys w/ long hair? I used to be, too, but now, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, my husband has longish hair so I guess my taste hasn't changed. However, I like neat, clean hair not dreds or wild frizzy sticking out stuff.

    ReplyDelete