Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Inspiring Blogger Award


I’d like to thank Cassandra Griffin  and Keely Hutton  for nominating me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award.  I could go on about how much I enjoy reading their blogs and about how they're both a bit obsessed with Dr. Who, but instead I’m going to suggest you check out their blogs yourself—and take a moment to say hi while you're there.



I’m honored that they find my blog inspiring and both nominated me for this award.  I’m looking forward to passing it on. To begin with, here are 7 things you may not know about me:   

1.   My mother’s name is Anne Rice.  If I’d kept my maiden name, I’d be Patricia Rice--who is also writer.  Actually, in real life I’ve never use the name Pat. It’s Patty all the way.  There, that’s a ream of pretty useless information J

2.    The summer before my freshman year in high school I wrote a book titled: How to Satisfy Your Satyr It was about harvesting, cooking and preserving edible wild plants. Okay, it was more like a few photocopied sheets of paper stapled together with hand colored drawings, but I did sell them in my parents store for like fifty cents each.  Sold quite a few, too.

3.      The summer before my sophomore year, I was in the YCC (youth conversation corps).  We lived in tents and did all kinds of projects in the Green Mountains around Mount Tabor, Vermont. I did the polka with a guy who has inspired romantic scenes in my manuscripts.  Yes, I said polka. 



4.     In the Fall of 2012, I returned to Mount Tabor for a writing retreat with my long time writing friends: Ginger Churchill, Laura Andersen and Becca Fitzpatrick.  That town has a special place in my heart.

5.   I went to the University of Vermont and majored in Plant and Soils Science.  However, one of my fondest memories is of the brief period when I was mentored by poet Wendell Berry . I doubt he even remembers me—I was a bit untamed at the time—but his kindness and advice has stayed with me. 

6.      I was lucky enough to attended Orson Scott Card’s Boot Camp a few years ago. My roommate was  Aliette de Bodard. If you aren’t familiar with her, check out Aliette’s website. Since boot camp, she’s become one of fantasy and science fictions most up and coming authors.   

7.      Earlier this week a Tweet reminded me of a critique I received after making it into Writers of the Future’s semifinals. The main comment was about the lack of exclamation points in my story.  Kind of proves that rules of thumb taken to an extreme can do as much damage as good.

          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


My Nominations  (in no particular order):  Drum roll please…

Joan Reginaldo
Ginger Churchill
Anabel Gonzalez
Sarah Guillory
Shannon Grogan

Award Rules:
.    Display logo in your blog to show you’ve been nominated!
.    Link back to your nominator.
.    Share 7 things about yourself.
.    Nominate 15 (that seems like a lot and I’m feeling a bit rebellious) 5 other bloggers for the award.
.    Notify your nominees.

These are just a few of my favorite bloggers at the moment, and I hope you’ll find them as inspirational as I do!  I’m looking forward to reading some fun 

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Pat! Think you should contact Rick Riordan about your plant book idea. I can see it as a supplemental book for the Percy Jackson books. "Grover's How to Satisfy your Saytr". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great facts about you, Patty. I am loving learning more about fellow writer friends! By the names, you were born to be a writer! (Exclamation points included.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've been feeling a bit exclamation point obsessed lately ;)

    ReplyDelete